Saturday, October 22, 2005

Once Upon a Time...

There was a woman trying to come up with a funny and clever intro to her new blog. This may not be it. The eight posts above this one are the ones that I created on my original blog where I was testing my dedication to posting before starting a "real" blog. If you'd like to know a little about me: I am a Democrat (of the democratic variety), a lesbian, a (perpetual) student, a bride-to-be, a Unitarian Universalist, and I live in Holyoke, Mass with my partner who has so graciously agreed to marry me next September. As proud citizens of the marriage equality state, we will do so legally, at least for the first couple of years (more on that in a post above). She's a new social worker, a sweatheart, and a country bumpkin from Minnesota. I'm a country bumpkin from Western Mass, and currently an unemployed student, having recently quit my work of the last three years with people with developmental disabilities to finally finish my undergraduate degree. This B.A. will be in Sociology, a concentration in Social Work, and a minor (so damn close to a second major) in Women's Studies. After graduating (in December), who knows?
My various aspirations include expanding my homemade herbal crafts to more than just one customer, professional activism for equal rights and environmental love, putting nose to the grindstone working for DSS (Department of Social Services for the non-locals), and divinity school toward becoming a UU minister. Most of all, more than anything in the world, more than I can stand it, I want to be a mama. We're not even close to taking foster care classes (another life's purpose), starting the adoption process, or trying to conceive. Getting back to work, regaining health insurance, and paying for a wedding all definitely need to happen first, but I think about it all the time and can't WAIT to get going. My love to all the wonderful mamas and to-be-mamas whose blogs I read as if they were food- not just any food, either, I mean fresh bread from the oven, salmon with creme fraiche, tiramisu... you get the idea.
There are so many courageous people out there tackling racism, sexism, classism, heterosexism, ableism, and all our oppressions, I couldn't possibly name all my inspirations here. I'll try to do them justice in posts, though. I'd like to write about what's going on in my life, but being political by nature, life usually gets tied back into politics and society here. Coming from one of those dinner=debate families, I love a rousing argument (no fights), so please feel free to disagree or play devil's advocate, but do be nice! Photos can be found in the sidebar (granted that I figure out how to use it), though they will probably be mostly wedding, wedding, wedding! Bridezilla hath no mercy... bwahahaha. No, really, I will try to include some variety (after all, what is a lesbian website without her best cat pictures), but I don't have any beautiful baby pictures like so many of my favorite blogs. Someday.
Bless you and all your families. See you around.

No comments: